Project Accountant – Consultant – India
Category: Fixed Term Employee (Global) 1 year (consultant)
Reports to: Senior Manager, Business Operations India
Location: Chennai or Delhi
1 in 9 people around the world lack access to safe water and 1 in 3 people don’t have access to a toilet. We are working every day to change this. We are Water.org. We’re here to bring water and sanitation to the world. We want to make it safe, accessible and cost-effective because we believe that water is the way to empowering a bright future that we can all share in, worldwide. We are an international nonprofit organization based in Kansas City, Missouri that has positively transformed millions of lives around the world through access to safe water and sanitation. Founded by Gary White and Matt Damon, we pioneer market-driven financial solutions to the global water crisis. For more than 25 years, we’ve been providing women hope, children health and families a future.
Water.org-India office has established partnerships with a broad range of financial institutions and other WSS service providers and is now providing technical support in the areas of product development, training, marketing and borrower education, including development of IEC materials for implementation partners.
The Project Accountant (consultant) position is responsible for managing partner projects finance including verifications of project expenses, budget control, facilitating fund request / fund transfers & annual audits, finance related compliance and audit management. It will also include assisting in certain areas to provide support to finance and admin team members and the organization at large as needed.
The Project Accountant (consultant) position is based in India (Chennai/Delhi).
Partner projects finance
- Reviewing partners finance reports and verifications of project expenses
- Oversee overall budget compliances & forecast, re-alignment and revisions as and when needed
- Facilitating fund requests from Partners / Fund transfers from Us Office
Capacity building and training support
- Training and coaching the (new) partners on finance standards and reporting formats of Water.org (both India based reports and global office templates)
Compliances and reporting
- Ensuring all timely submission of finance related periodical compliance and Stuatory reports (including annual returns to RoC and ADB)
- Compliances related to partners projects (both Organization and finance related) includes FCRA, IT, 80G, 12A
- Facilitating internal and external audit processes
- Arranging internal audit of the partners and also external audit through third party auditors appointment (as per Donors’ compliances)
- Perform ad-hoc special projects related to Admin as assigned from time to time
- Individual contributor with no subordinates.
This description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required. Some duties, responsibilities and activities may change or be assigned at any time with or without notice.
Skills and Competencies
- Customer Focus – Building strong customer relationships and delivering customer-centric solutions.
- Nimble Learning – Actively learning through experimentation when tackling problems, using both successes and failures as learning fodder.
- Drives Results – Consistently achieving results, even under tough circumstances.
- Collaborates – Building partnerships and working collaboratively with others to meet shared objectives.
- Communicates Effectively -
- Self-development – Actively seeking new ways to grow and be challenged using other formal and informal development channels.
- Optimize Work Processes – Knowing the most effective and efficient processes to get things done, with a focus on continuous improvement.
- Manages Ambiguity – Manages ambiguity by operating effectively, even when things are not certain or the way forward is not clear.
- Instills Trust – Gaining the confidence and trust of others through honesty, integrity, and authenticity.
- Financial Stewardship – Demonstrates fiscally responsible decision making as applicable to one’s role.
- Bachelor’s degree required in Accounting, Finance, Business Administration, or a closely related field.
- 6 – 8 years of professional experience in accounting, finance, or a related field with demonstrated knowledge of accounting functions, such as budgeting, forecasting, and/or financial reporting.
- Thorough knowledge and understanding of U.S. GAAP is preferred.
- Proficiency with an accounting software and comprehensive database systems is required.
- Knowledge and demonstrated experience with MS Office package software applications with advanced skills using Microsoft Excel.
- Experience in project or grant-based accounting preferred.
- Previous professional experience planning, prioritizing, and managing multiple projects simultaneously while meeting varying deadlines successfully.
- Demonstratable skill in researching, analyzing, evaluating, and summarizing complex financial data for accuracy and adherence to guidelines.
- Ability to communicate complex information clearly and concisely to multi-geographical stakeholders.
Up to 15% of domestic travel. Travel will commence as is advisable given business needs and safety considerations as determined by organizational guidelines.
Water.org is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to providing an inclusive environment. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, gender expression, gender identity, age, national origin, ancestry, disability, marital status, sexual orientation, pregnancy status, military and veteran status, genetic information, and any other status protected by law. We provide qualified applicants and employees reasonable accommodation, when necessary, to enable individuals to complete the application process and/or perform the essential functions of the job.