Regional Lead, Financial Institution Services, Latin America
Reports to: Director, Financial Institution Services
Water.org is an international non-profit that specializes in correcting market failures in the water and sanitation sector, especially by providing technical assistance to financial institutions (FIs) to help them build water and sanitation loan products and/or expand water and sanitation lending.
WaterEquity is the first-ever asset manager dedicated to mobilizing private sector investments to accelerate universal access to water and sanitation in emerging markets. One of WaterEquity’s primary investment strategies is investing in Financial Institutions to expand water and sanitation lending to underserved households and businesses.
Water.org and WaterEquity have established an asset origination alliance (AOA) to align the market building activities of Water.org and the investment activities of WaterEquity.
As part of the newly formed AOA, Water.org is seeking a Regional Lead, Financial Institution Services Latin America, to
- Deliver consulting services to support emerging markets Financial Institutions with water and sanitation lending;
- Strengthen and expand WaterEquity’s investment opportunities with microfinance institutions, banks and other non-banking financial institutions
- Support Water.org’s long term capacity to develop investment opportunities in the region
The consulting services will be closely coordinated with WaterEquity’s investment strategy and will collaborate with other Water.org positions that are responsible for delivering consulting services in the region.
The Regional Lead, Financial Institution Services Latin America reports to the Director of Financial services and is part of a growing team providing services and investments to Financial Institutions.
Strategic Development and Leadership (25%)
- Support Financial Institution services strategy and design the business model for delivering cost-effective, customized, client-driven services
- Identify opportunities for expansion of markets and services, particularly by assessing best suited markets for
- Expand available resources for delivering services by building and training a pool of contractors in priority markets
Delivery of Financial Institution Services (30%)
- Lead business development and Financial Institution candidate screening process in Latin America
- Present Financial Institution candidate opportunities to the investment management team
- Design and delivery of service relationships with Financial Institutions
- Recruit, train and guide local consultants for delivering Technical Advisory services
Portfolio Management (30%)
- Regularly monitor and report Financial Institution services teams’ portfolio results and impact milestones
- Lead workouts for problem clients
Knowledge Management and Representation (15%)
- Coordinate closely with the WaterEquity Regional Director and Director of Social Impact to effectively maximize the quality and quantity of investment opportunities
- Ensure regional coordination with Water.org and WaterEquity, with particular emphasis on collaboration with Water.org regional teams
- Coordinate with the Head of Operations, AOA to capture lessons learned on service delivery and cross-company coordination, ensure communication of lessons are built to guide the long-term evolution of Water.org and WaterEquity business models
- Represent the Water.org and WaterEquity partnership at relevant sector events and investor discussions
Skills and Competencies
- Customer Focus – Building strong customer relationships and delivering customer-centric solutions.
- Communicates Effectively – Developing and delivering multi-mode communications that convey a clear understanding of the unique needs of different audiences.
- Drives Results – Consistently achieving results, even under tough circumstances.
- Collaborates – Building partnerships and working collaboratively with others to meet shared objectives.
- Optimize Work Processes – Knowing the most effective and efficient processes to get things done, with a focus on continuous improvement.
- Manages Ambiguity – Manages ambiguity by operating effectively, even when things are not certain, or the way forward is not clear.
- Instills Trust – Gaining the confidence and trust of others through honesty, integrity, and authenticity.
- Financial Stewardship – Demonstrates fiscally responsible decision making as applicable to one’s role.
- Directs Work – Providing direction, delegating, and removing obstacles to get work done.
- Values Differences – Recognizing the value that different perspectives and cultures bring to an organization.
- Plans and Aligns – Planning and prioritizing work to meet commitments aligned with organizational goals.
- Strategic Mindset – Seeing ahead to future possibilities and translating them into breakthrough strategies.
- Builds Effective Teams – Building strong-identity teams that apply their diverse skills and perspectives to achieve common goals.
- Being Resilient – Rebounding from setbacks and adversity when facing difficult situations.
- Courage – Stepping up to address difficult issues, saying what needs to be said.
- Bachelor’s degree in relevant field, or equivalent professional experience
- Minimum ten (10) years of professional experience with at least five (5) in a financial institution or working directly with financial institutions in emerging markets, such as delivery of consulting or technical assistance services
- Experience in retail or Small and Medium Enterprise loan product development and risk management in emerging markets, preferably housing or water and sanitation loans [SG2] [SG3]
- Experience investing in Financial Institutions in emerging markets
- Regional experience in at least two countries within Latin America preferred.
- Ability to identify opportunities to modify existing technical assistance approaches and build capacity at financial institutions in a lean, cost-effective manner
- Track record of identifying obstacles and opportunities, developing new business models, and entering new markets
- Outstanding client relationship development and management skills
- Demonstrated commitment to coordination and communications necessary for a successful partnership between Water.org and WaterEquity
- Willingness to travel approximately 25 – 30% of the time
- Foreign language skills are a plus
- Fluent in English (written and verbal) required
- Team management experience preferred
Up to 30% of domestic and/or global travel.
Salary and Benefits
Details of the compensation package will be dictated by contract status, which will be determined based on location. Overall compensation will be commensurate with education and experience and structured to reflect a competitive package for a full-time senior-level team member.
Water.org is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to providing an inclusive environment. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, gender expression, gender identity, age, national origin, ancestry, disability, marital status, sexual orientation, pregnancy status, military and veteran status, genetic information, and any other status protected by law. We provide qualified applicants and employees reasonable accommodation, when necessary, to enable individuals to complete the application process and/or perform the essential functions of the job. We believe social change happens when people with a wide range of backgrounds, experiences, and identities come together with a common purpose. We strive to build and maintain a diverse team that will advance our mission and work and encourage candidates from all backgrounds to apply.