Senior Partnership Account Manager
Reports to: Portfolio Lead, South Asia
Location: Dhaka, Bangladesh
1 in 10 people around the world lack access to safe water and 1 in 4 people don’t have access to a toilet. We are working every day to change this. We are Water.org. We’re here to bring water and sanitation to the world. We want to make it safe, accessible and cost-effective because we believe that water is the way to empower a bright future that we can all share, worldwide. We are an international nonprofit organization based in Kansas City, Missouri that has positively transformed millions of lives around the world through access to safe water and sanitation. Founded by Gary White and Matt Damon, we pioneer market-driven financial solutions to the global water crisis. For more than 25 years, we’ve been providing women hope, children health and families a future.
Water.org is seeking to expand its outreach to and growth of its partnerships with Micro, Small, and Medium Enterprises (MSMEs), which comprise a significant opportunity set at the intersection of target markets. The Senior Partnership Account Manager in the Global Impact Department is responsible for driving and managing growth-stage partnerships, ensuring consistent delivery against account priorities. This individual serves as a technical consultant, business advisor and/or implementer of partner-facing business plans and related programs. This role is a catalyst for the partner’s vision and brings an exceptional customer success mindset to identifying and delivering appropriate solutions to assigned partner accounts that leverage Water.org’s unique value.
Reporting to the Portfolio Lead, South Asia, the Senior Partnership Account Manager is responsible for growing and retaining existing partner relationships, focusing on supporting execution of the region’s business strategy for the business line and related execution of programs and projects aimed building opportunities for shared value with a broad range of financial institutions and MSMEs, building and sustaining partnerships that: 1) mobilize capital for water supply and sanitation (WSS) for those in need, and 2) serve low-income households with innovative and affordable water and sanitation services at scale.
Business Development (40%)
Oversees engagement with partners’ key decision makers in the region to deliver sustained year-over-year growth of new and existing accounts. Identifies potential WASH Micro, Small and Medium Enterprises and networks interested in improving readiness for, building and/or expanding WSS finance portfolios and products, including but not limited to:
- Implements lead generation, qualifying business opportunities, creating and delivering presentations to prospective clients, creating proposals and, as directed by the Regional Business Lead and/or Regional Director.
- Leverages deep knowledge of MSME and Wholesale banking product and service offerings to strategically assess growth opportunities with new and existing partnerships solution design and demonstrating strong interpersonal attributes that will influence decision makers toward our products and services.
- As applicable, acts as strategic account manager for highly complex, high-value and/or new acquisitions.
- Contribute to development of concept notes and proposals that represent and competitively position Water.org’s core areas of expertise.
- Remaining current on the legal and regulatory environment as it relates to business activities and ensures region identifies critical barriers and market readiness with associated interventions aimed at advocacy and influence within the business line.
Account Management and Delivery (30%)
Serves as the primary contact and advisor for assigned portfolio of partnerships, ensuring a high level of customer satisfaction and retention. Ensures integrity of data used to drive decisions and verify outcomes of programs. Owns execution of partner-facing service delivery and related projects, and nurtures relationships to maximize successful performance, including but not limited to:
- Leads partner account management cycle for assigned portfolio, utilizing global frameworks, tools and methods for partnership design, solution design and field monitoring, and performance reporting.
- Develops and implements partner workplans and delivery of approved services to partners directly or via third parties, including IEC Materials, Technical Assistance, Financial Product Design, etc.
- Ensures regular cadence of engagement with the partner’s key stakeholders and in partnership with the Regional Insights function, ensures regular field monitoring and audits (as applicable) of partner’s activities.
- Facilitates design and resolution of service requests for existing relationships, engaging product experts as needed.
- Provides timely and accurate reporting and analysis of account performance and related business metrics, including execution progress and forecast for impact plans and funding utilization to relevant business partners, such as Finance, Insights, and Award Management. Accountable for accuracy of all data provided to leadership.
- Ensure compliance with all applicable organizational policies and procedures as well as local regulations and laws. As applicable, identifies and escalates account, legal and/or compliance risks.
Stakeholder Management (30%)
- Identify major policies and regulations related to climate resilient MSME and wholesale service delivery in the target markets. Collaborate with public sector stakeholders to drive expansion of the WASH MSME and wholesale financial products and markets.
- Identify opportunities to improve policy and regulatory environment to promote the WASH MSME sector.
- Support advocacy initiatives through oversight of in-country third-party service delivery and collaboration with partners.
- Individual contributor with no subordinates.
This description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of scope, stakeholders and linkages for every project, duty or responsibility but is intended to highlight internal or external processes, functions and jobs/roles that are expected to regularly interact with this position to deliver work. Scope may change or be assigned at any time with or without notice.
Skills and Competencies
- Customer Focus – Building strong customer relationships and delivering customer-centric solutions.
- Communicates Effectively – Developing and delivering multi-mode communications that convey a clear understanding of the unique needs of different audiences.
- Drives Results – Consistently achieving results, even under tough circumstances.
- Collaborates – Building partnerships and working collaboratively with others to meet shared objectives.
- Manages Ambiguity – Manages ambiguity by operating effectively, even when things are not certain or the way forward is not clear.
- Bachelor’s degree or higher and/or equivalent related work experience.
- At least 6 years of progressive experience with retail and wholesale finance and/or Micro, Small, and Medium Enterprise services and operations, including development of partnerships and networks, design and implementation of international development initiatives and interventions, including:
- Proven track record of business development, expanding accounts and business contracts with Micro, Small and Medium Enterprises and/or Wholesale Lending enterprises.
- Demonstrated experience leveraging a consulting and business advisory approach with deep knowledge of relevant industry trends, market data, training and capacity building, and business case development to support the success of the partnership.
- Proficient in program/project management, including building execution plans, work breakdown, financial and metric performance analysis. Manages up and knows when to escalate internal and/or client concerns.
- Believes in our mission and will do the work required to advance the enterprise.
- Polished communicator with a demonstrated ability to form strong relationships, both internally and externally.
- Proficiency in English (written and verbal).
- Master’s degree is strongly preferred.
- Familiarity with lending policies and regulatory environment relevant but not limited to MSMEs and Wholesale Banking
- Familiarity with capacity building and technical assistance programs and principles in the finance and/or Water Sanitation and Hygiene (WASH) sectors is a significant advantage.
- Language(s): Proficiency in regional languages such as Hindi and Bengali/Bangla is a plus.
Up to 40% of domestic and global travel.
Being authorized to work in the country posted is a precondition of employment.
Salary and Benefits
This position offers country-specific benefits and market-based, competitive salary; as well as periodic review for merit and incentive pay based on organizational and personal achievement.
Water.org is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to providing an inclusive environment. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, gender expression, gender identity, age, national origin, ancestry, disability, marital status, sexual orientation, pregnancy status, military and veteran status, genetic information, and any other status protected by law. We provide qualified applicants and employees reasonable accommodation, when necessary, to enable individuals to complete the application process and/or perform the essential functions of the job. We believe social change happens when people with a wide range of backgrounds, experiences, and identities come together with a common purpose. We strive to build and maintain a diverse team that will advance our mission and work and encourage candidates from all backgrounds to apply.