Senior Public Relations Manager
Reports to: Director, Brand Marketing and Communications
Location: US Remote
1 in 10 people around the world lack access to safe water and 1 in 4 people don’t have access to a toilet. We are working every day to change this. We are Water.org. We’re here to bring water and sanitation to the world. We want to make it safe, accessible and cost-effective because we believe that water is the way to empowering a bright future that we can all share in, worldwide. We are an international nonprofit organization based in Kansas City, Missouri that has positively transformed millions of lives around the world through access to safe water and sanitation. Founded by Gary White and Matt Damon, we pioneer market-driven financial solutions to the global water crisis. For more than 25 years, we’ve been providing women hope, children health and families a future.
The Senior Public Relations Manager within the Marketing department is responsible for the successful development and execution of public relations plans, with a strong focus on the organization’s strategic priorities. This leader will leverage proven PR practices and breakthrough approaches to drive awareness, thought leadership and fundraising.
This position reports to the Director, Brand Marketing and Communications and can be US remote or based in Kansas City, MO. It is also open to remote in the following states: California, Colorado, Connecticut, Georgia, Illinois, Indiana, Massachusetts, Maryland, Missouri, North Carolina, Nebraska, New Jersey, New York, South Carolina, Texas, Utah, Virginia, Washington, Kansas and Washington, DC.
Media Outreach (40%)
- Develop and implement publicity strategies, including ongoing media relations, reputation management, and crisis communications.
- Secure quality media placements in target markets and lead the organization’s capability to effectively deliver key messages across a spectrum of traditional and non-traditional media.
- Identify opportunities for PR activations for the consumer audience.
- Identify opportunities for thought leadership.
- Assess brand opportunities and reputational risks, as needed.
- Facilitate and fulfill incoming consumer PR and media requests.
- Manage agency support.
- Coordinate with Co-founder teams on integrated PR efforts.
- Design opportunities for board members to support PR efforts.
Fundraising Support (30%)
- Develop and execute a PR plan in alignment with Water.org’s annual content calendar, specifically to support the execution of a donor acquisition strategy.
- Create and execute an earned media plan, including an influencer engagement strategy, in partnership with the Marketing and Strategic Development team.
- Identify opportunities to increase visibility of fundraising campaigns, i.e., World Water Day and End of Year.
Communications Management (30%)
- Develop talking points and relevant messaging for events and key topics in alignment with Water.org creative team.
- Provide ongoing PR counsel to internal teams, including preparing written material for Strategic Development, Office of the CEO, Global Impact, Impact & Innovations and Human Relations for select external communications.
- Lead internal media training as needed and expand portfolio of internal voices to support external communications priorities.
- Coordinate with legal teams, as needed, to maintain a positive brand reputation.
- Individual contributor with no subordinates.
This description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required. Some duties, responsibilities and activities may change or be assigned at any time with or without notice.
Skills and Competencies
- Communicates Effectively – Developing and delivering multi-mode communications that convey a clear understanding of the unique needs of different audiences.
- Customer Focus – Building strong customer relationships and delivering customer-centric solutions.
- Drives Results – Consistently achieving results, even under tough circumstances.
- Collaborates – Building partnerships and working collaboratively with others to meet shared objectives.
- Optimize Work Processes – Knowing the most effective and efficient processes to get things done, with a focus on continuous improvement.
- Manages Ambiguity – Manages ambiguity by operating effectively, even when things are not certain or the way forward is not clear.
- Bachelor’s degree in Public Relations, Communications, or related field or equivalent work experience
- Minimum six years of relevant professional work experience in international development, including executive PR support Background in global communications, non-profit, or fundraising work
- Language(s): Proficient (written and verbal) in English
- Excellent relationship management skills
- Demonstrated success managing multiple projects and audiences with quality and consistent output
- Superior written and verbal communication skills and attention to detail
- Experience managing or working within a PR agency
- Experience and understanding with diversity, equity and inclusion communications
- Being authorized to work in the country posted is a precondition of employment
Up to 0-20% of domestic and global travel.
Salary and Benefits
This position offers full-time benefits inclusive of medical/dental insurance, life and disability insurance, retirement program; as well as periodic review for merit and incentive pay based on organizational and personal achievement.
Water.org is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to providing an inclusive environment. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, gender expression, gender identity, age, national origin, ancestry, disability, marital status, sexual orientation, pregnancy status, military and veteran status, genetic information, and any other status protected by law. We provide qualified applicants and employees reasonable accommodation, when necessary, to enable individuals to complete the application process and/or perform the essential functions of the job. We believe social change happens when people with a wide range of backgrounds, experiences, and identities come together with a common purpose. We strive to build and maintain a diverse team that will advance our mission and work and encourage candidates from all backgrounds to apply.