Sr. Manager, WSS Service Providers
Reports to: Chief Impact Officer
Location: Kansas City, MO; San Francisco, CA; Washington, DC; Water.org Global Office Locations
1 in 9 people around the world lack access to safe water and 1 in 3 people don’t have access to a toilet. We are working every day to change this. We are Water.org. We’re here to bring water and sanitation to the world. We want to make it safe, accessible and cost-effective because we believe that water is the way to empowering a bright future that we can all share in, worldwide. We are an international nonprofit organization based in Kansas City, Missouri that has positively transformed millions of lives around the world through access to safe water and sanitation. Founded by Gary White and Matt Damon, we pioneer market-driven financial solutions to the global water crisis. For more than 25 years, we’ve been providing women hope, children health and families a future.
The Global Service Providers team at Water.org concentrates on developing partnership and interventions models for scaling impact with Water and Sanitation Supply (WSS) service providers, creating a formal discipline. This team will support Country and Regional teams in the design and execution of partnerships with public and private sector enterprises and associations; improving financial and operational capacity of these institutions to mobilize additional capital to extend and improve WSS services for people living at the base of the pyramid. The Global Service Providers team will also provide expertise in how to incorporate service provider institutions into Water.org’s strategy and lend to the improvement of utility performance and create investment opportunities. The team is focused on the practice of improving WSS providers’ ability to obtain and generate capital to reach more people and improve services for their customer bases.
The Sr. Manager, Global Service Providers within the Services Providers team is primarily responsible for leading Water.org’s strategy regarding the organization’s approach to partnering with and best practices in engaging global service providers in the WSS service provider space- with both utilities and other enterprises. The Sr. Manager will work collaboratively with various teams in Global Impact to gather insights and trends to develop a standardized, consistent approach for engaging service providers. The Sr. Manager, Global Service Providers also leads thought leadership for this practice area and appropriately represents Water.org’s successful engagements in the WSS service provider sector.
The Sr. Manager, WSS Service Providers role may be based in Kansas City, MO, San Francisco, CA, Washington D.C. or in any Water.org global office inclusive of Nairobi, Kenya; Addis Ababa, Ethiopia; Lima, Peru; Chennai, India; Delhi, India; Dhaka, Bangladesh; Manila, Philippines; or Jakarta, Indonesia.
WSS Global Service Provider Strategy & Management (40%)
- Provide technical expertise for in-country WSS provider in strategy, approach, implementation, and specific activities to assist service providers in overcoming finance-related barriers to improve services for those in poverty
- Develop financial models for service providers, in close collaboration with Water.org field operations teams, external consultants, and other Global Impact practice areas.
- Provide leadership and support creating frameworks for monitoring, reporting, and benchmarking within existing service provider partnerships.
- Foster global and/or regional relationships, where appropriate, that can facilitate and expand service provider partnerships
- Develop of robust processes around knowledge shared and technical assistance materials
- Ensure organizational strategy is reflected in team's work and that the practice area trends are reflected in the organizational strategy
Internal Global Service Provider Strategic Guidance (40%)
- Provide expertise which enables Water.org country staff to develop and manage partnerships with service providers.
- Troubleshoot challenges with developing partnership and intervention models with country and regional teams
- Support technical assistance and training across regions related to external stakeholders within WSS service provider space.
- Ensure collaboration across practice areas and Global Impact teams by providing practice area expertise.
Department & Team Leadership (20%)
- Develop practice area in alignment with organizational mission and strategy
- Actively contribute to Thought Leadership inside and outside the organization (events, publications, seminars, etc.).
- Manage planning, operations, and budget associated with practice area
- Contribute to knowledge management and dissemination of evaluation findings and follow up on implementation of recommendations
- Supervise initially one staff member, with plans to supervise additional staff within the practice over time.
- Supervises work of others. Responsible for hiring, discipline, and pay administration of their subordinates.
- Positions supervised include: Utility Services Expert
This description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required. Some duties, responsibilities and activities may change or be assigned at any time with or without notice.
- Provides strategic direction to Global Service Providers team and determines departmental priorities.
- Provides overall strategic guidance on Global Service Providers within the water & sanitation sector.
Skills and competencies
- Strategic Mindset – Seeing ahead to future possibilities and translating them into breakthrough strategies.
- Customer Focus – Building strong customer relationships and delivering customer-centric solutions.
- Nimble Learning – Actively learning through experimentation when taking new problems, using both successes and failures as learning fodder.
- Drives Results – Consistently achieving results, even under tough circumstances.
- Collaborates – Building partnerships and working collaboratively with others to meet shared objectives.
- Self-development – Actively seeking new ways to grow and be challenged using other formal and informal development channels.
- Optimize Work Processes – Knowing the most effective and efficient processes to get things done, with a focus on continuous improvement.
- Manages Ambiguity - Manages ambiguity by operating effectively, even when things are not certain or the way forward is not clear.
- Instills Trust – Gaining the confidence and trust of others through honesty, integrity, and authenticity.
- Financial Stewardship - Demonstrates fiscally responsible decision making as applicable to one’s role.
- Master's degree in an industry relevant field is preferred; a Bachelor’s degree is required.
- 12+ years of previous professional experience in the water and sanitation sector. Experience with water and sanitation service providers, including partnerships including these institutions, preferred.
- 4+ years of experience managing professionals and building capacity within teams.
- Working knowledge of water and sanitation service providers is required; technical experience with water and sanitation service providers is preferred.
- Strong experience in strategy development and operational execution for impact.
- Experience in developing new practice areas, channels, and/or lines of business for relevant organizations
- Provide strategic guidance to practice areas and technical expertise to disparate teams in the WSS arena
- Ability to articulate and represent the water and sanitation sector and Water.org’s presence in the sector effectively, including the ability to discuss the challenges of urban water sector reforms and to respectfully champion the needed changes within the sector that can bene.
- Ability to assess and identify risks and benefits of different providers in various geographic markets.
- Thorough experience with analyzing trends and market opportunities.
- Proven ability to work effectively in a multicultural and multinational team.
- Skilled in Microsoft Office applications (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Outlook)
- Up to 30% of domestic and global travel.
Salary and benefits
This position offers full-time benefits, including medical/dental insurance, life and disability insurance, retirement program and periodic review for merit and incentive pay based on organizational and personal achievement.
Water.org is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to providing an inclusive environment. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, gender expression, gender identity, age, national origin, ancestry, disability, marital status, sexual orientation, pregnancy status, military and veteran status, genetic information, and any other status protected by law. We provide qualified applicants and employees reasonable accommodation, when necessary, to enable individuals to complete the application process and/or perform the essential functions of the job.