Staff Accountant, Mexico
Reports to: Senior Manager, International Finance Operations
Effective: Jan. 2, 2024
1 in 4 people around the world lack access to safe water and 2 in 5 people don’t have access to a safe toilet. We are working every day to change this. We are Water.org. We’re here to bring water and sanitation to the world. We want to make it safe, accessible and cost-effective because we believe that water is the way to empower a bright future that we can all share, worldwide. We are an international nonprofit organization based in Kansas City, Missouri that has positively transformed millions of lives around the world through access to safe water and sanitation. Founded by Gary White and Matt Damon, we pioneer market-driven financial solutions to the global water crisis. For more than 25 years, we’ve been providing women hope, children health and families a future.
The Staff Accountant, Mexico is primarily responsible for supporting and coordinating the financial and accounting activities for an assigned portfolio of grants, local entities, and finance operations. Collaborates with HQ and regional finance functions to facilitate financial reporting, analysis, and support implementation of global accounting practices and processes.
- Analysis, Modeling & Reporting
- Compliance, Policies & Procedures
- Corporate & Financial Oversight
- Financial Management & Planning
- Financial Systems & Applications
- Process Improvement
Support and deliver timely reconciliations, ensure accurate and timely recording of financial activity into the accounting system, including offices expenses, general ledger, and reconciliations.
Collaborate with multiple stakeholders to address questions or follow up from regional and/or global leadership regarding monthly financial activity.
Produce grant-related post-award functions, including financial monitoring, expense analysis reporting, variances identification/explanation, reconciliations, re-budgeting, and grant closeout functions.
Perform regular and recurring general accounting functions; reconcile various balance sheet accounts and prepare entries to general ledger accounts.
Prepare annual audit report, including preparing audit schedules and producing requested documentation.
Complexity + Problem Solving Skills
- Ability to produce accurate and timely financial analysis, accounting, and reporting to internal and external stakeholders.
- Ability to communicate complex information clearly and concisely to multi-geographical stakeholders.
- Ability to act with integrity, professionalism, and confidentiality with respect to sensitive information.
Individual contributor with no subordinates.
This description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive list of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required by an incumbent in this job. Some responsibilities, activities, and people who are expected to regularly interact with the incumbent in this job may change or be assigned at any time with or without notice.
- Customer Focus – Builds strong customer relationships and delivers customer-centric solutions.
- Optimizes Work Processes – Knows the most effective and efficient processes to get things done, with a focus on continuous improvement.
- Communicates Effectively – Develops and delivers multi-mode communications that convey a clear understanding of the unique needs of different audiences.
- Values Differences – Recognizes the value that different perspectives and cultures bring to an organization.
- Nimble Learning – Learns through experimentation when tackling new problems, using both successes and failures as learning fodder.
Required Qualifications and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting, finance, business administration and/or equivalent related work experience.
- At least 3 years of professional experience in accounting, finance, or closely related field.
- Proficient (written and verbal) in English.
- Up to 5% of domestic and regional travel for work, as needed.
Being authorized to work in the country posted is a precondition of employment.
Type and Estimated Length of Employment
Salary and Benefits
This position offers country-specific benefits and market-based, competitive salary as well as periodic review for merit and incentive pay based on organizational and personal achievement.
Water.org is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to providing an inclusive environment. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, gender expression, gender identity, age, national origin, ancestry, disability, marital status, sexual orientation, pregnancy status, military and veteran status, genetic information, and any other status protected by law. We provide qualified applicants and employees reasonable accommodation, when necessary, to enable individuals to complete the application process and/or perform the essential functions of the job. We believe social change happens when people with a wide range of backgrounds, experiences, and identities come together with a common purpose. We strive to build and maintain a diverse team that will advance our mission and work and encourage candidates from all backgrounds to apply.